1) The quality of a leather briefcase
Buy a quality Italian leather briefcase made from high-quality leather. Quality leather improves with time. The Briefcase will look fantastic even after a decade of use. Though the years, leather changes colour and develops an attractive look. A top quality leather briefcase looks classy and professional. You should know that genuine leather is durable, flexible, and luxurious, which has a typical leather smell. Full-grain leather makes the most durable briefcases. Also, top-grain leather is an affordable and excellent alternative to full-grain leather.
The origins of the leather used to make the Briefcase determines the quality. One of the finest quality leather is sourced from Italy, Tuscany in particular. Avoid buying a briefcase made of fake leather. You’ll be changing briefcases before you have a chance to justify the few hundred saved fully.
2) The materials used during manufacture
The locks, handle, shoulder strap fittings, zippers, buckles, and metallic rings take the most abuse daily. They are likely to wear out the quickest. Check that the materials are of good quality. These spare parts are expensive. Price is a good indication of quality. Right quality leather fixtures are durable, and the manufacturer who uses quality materials is going to price their products appropriately.
3) Choosing the Right Type of leather briefcase
A casual or formal messenger type leather briefcase is perfectly suitable for multiple situations. Those are not classed as briefcases, but Messenger Bags or Laptop Bags. Those are more suitable for a casual type of profession or more easy-going lifestyles. Also, there are available Document Leather Cases for lighter office needs. There is a particular article dedicated to work bags for women.
4) The durability of the Briefcase
Look for those characteristics of quality craftsmanship when buying a briefcase:
- The stitching on the bag should be straight, even, small and without loose threads. Check the inner and outer surfaces for consistent stitching. Reinforced stitching protects the vulnerable areas of the bag.
- Metal zippers are of better quality than plastic ones. Open and close the zipper several times to ensure a smooth closure.
- The handles should be securely fixed to the body of the Briefcase with reinforced stitching or metal fixtures. Handles that are glued to the exterior of the bag are likely to come loose after some use.
- The edges of the case are the points where the leather is most likely peel or split.
Briefcases look compact and slim. The interiors are often designed with flexible and spacious compartments to store your laptop and other things like phone, office accessories, and documents.
The primary consideration for buying a briefcase should be what you need to carry in it. You should always have enough compartments within your Briefcase to keep the contents as organized as possible.
6) The Color of the Briefcase
The three most common colours on briefcases for men are brown, dark brown, black and honey. Black and dark brown are best suited for a professional environment, while they give a sense of power and authority. Lighter colours are better suited for casual purposes where the working atmosphere is relaxed and informal. In the end, it is a matter of taste!
7) Lifestyle Suitability
If you need to carry a laptop, make sure there’s a compartment large enough for your size of a laptop.
- A lawyer or legal secretary would benefit from using a more spacious briefcase because their profession is famous for requiring reams of paper.
- A flexible soft-sided case is probably a better choice for a professional with fluctuating work requirements.
- A contemporary style briefcase is more casual, easier to use and weighs less than a traditional briefcase. It is an ideal style for men who work in non-formal professions, such as the fashion industry, the media or public relations.
8) Appropriate Size and Weight of the leather briefcase
Bigger is not better in the case of briefcases. It is not the best look to see a short man carrying a bag too big for his frame. It should feel comfortable and not bulky. Choose a briefcase that can be compressed if there is space inside.
Written by Elena Taylor